Search This Blog

Friday, January 15, 2010

Rainbow over Dubai's sky



Last Sunday night there was a thunderstorm in Dubai, I didn’t catch any pictures when the thunders hit, but many readers of the Gulf News did, and here are the link to these 9 images.

But, the next morning I woke up to a surprise - beautiful rainbow covered the sky - but only for a very short time, it was around 7:15 am and the rainbow lasted no more than somewhere between 5 to 10 minutes, that’s when I caught the above picture.

The water of the Dubai creek is very calm in the early morning, before any boat sails out, the surface is just like a mirror; and there are a group of hundreds (if not thousands) of black birds travelling together, they land on the creek for about 5 minutes, I don’t know if they are eating something or just resting on the water.

After watching the Doha Debate on TV playing a past debate, about the development of Dubai (dated Dec. 14, 2009), in which I learned that some construction workers earn only 2 Euros a day.  I feel deeply disturbed by the growing gap between the poor and the rich of the world, and in general the issue of world inequality I blogged about in the past.

I have some deep thoughts about our living environment and our society (the poor vs. the rich).

While human beings admire the continuation of breaking new records in architectural / structural engineering one after another, I believe that only God controls the universe, including the thunderstorm which caught many tourists by surprise and the beautiful rainbow the morning after.

However, I will have to write down my thoughts some other time, and devote this post entirely to a slide show of 50 picture images as Part 1 of a series.

When the Burj Dubai (aka Burj Khalifa) celebrated its grand opening on January 4, 2009, the linked pictures, sent by the Gulf News readers, were selected the best 10 images.

The construction of the Burj Al Arab: Pictures from the past is a nice series to see the changes in Dubai.


Reference:


Palm Islands, I wonder if global warming and rising sea water will affect the development of these artificial islands.

The Atlantis Hotel Aquarium (found some YouTube video)


No comments:

Post a Comment